Sunday, August 15, 2010

Letter from Sgt. J.Spinney

California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation

Memorandum

Date: Nov. 16, 2009
Re: Letter of Character for Officer McGowan

To Whom It May Concern:


My name is Joseph Spinney and I am a Correctional Sergeant with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) at the California Institution for Men (CIM). I would like to relay to you my experiences with Correctional Officer Robert McGowan. In my years of experience, I rarely come across a person with exceptional character and dedication to the CDCR as Officer McGowan has shown me. Officer McGowan has shown steadily how he can rise above the difficult situations we face at CDCR and shine in a manner supervisors aspire our subordinates to attain. I would like to share a few of these examples with you.


When I promoted to Sergeant, I was new to the California Institution for Men (CIM). I came from another institution and did not understand the processes and policies of a reception center such as CIM. I did not understand the process of working at a reception center or the inner workings of an Administrative Segregation Unit (ASU). I was initially assigned to Cypress Hall ASU and had the opportunity to work with Officer McGowan. Officer McGowan took the time to show me the process of a reception center and how the program operated. Not only did Officer McGowan familiarize me on reception center and ASU policies and procedures but he took the time to explain to me why they were implemented. His knowledge of policy and procedure became a useful tool to my assimilation into a new institution and a new program. In other words, he became a vital resource for policy and procedure.


When I was assigned new officers from the Academy, it was Officer McGowan that assisted me in the training of the new staff on policy and procedures and to ensure proper training was given to these new officers, making them aware of not only policies but the reasoning behind the policies, thus increasing their value as employees. For example, when I had a new officer assigned to ASU Culinary, Officer McGowan was able to complete his assignments in order to be able to train the new officer on other areas of responsibility in ASU. This became valuable because later that week, we were short of staff due to furloughs and I needed the new officer to cover other areas of responsibility. I was confident in the training and experience of the new officer because of the training received from Officer McGowan. It was Officer McGowan’s ability, knowledge, and desire to train other officers on policy and procedure that enabled our unit to operate during reduced staffing levels and to operate within departmental policy.


When CIM was experiencing several days without water pressure, it was Officer McGowan that led the charge to take thousands of gallons of water to the second and third floors of ASU so that inmates could flush their toilets and have water to brush their teeth and wash their hands. This act of leadership was, in my opinion, responsible for the reduction of the possibility of an inmate uprising and the subsequent reduction in the possibility of staff being assaulted and/or having inmates require cell extractions which could have led to staff or inmate injuries.


Officer McGowan has always shown his personal and professional belief in the sanctity of human life. A few months ago it was Officer McGowan who entered an inmate’s cell in ASU while the inmate was attempting suicide by hanging. Officer McGowan quickly cut the noose, lowered the inmate down, and personally began life saving measures. Officer McGowan continued these lifesaving measures until the inmate was transported to an external medical facility. Prior to the Inmate leaving ASU, Officer McGowan (to my understanding) was able to resuscitate the inmate.


Although I was not here at CIM when the alleged incident took place, I will say this: from what I have seen of Officer McGowan, I personally and professionally do not feel that the accusations are representative of the man or officer I know. In addition, believe Officer McGowan was instrumental in my development as a Correctional Sergeant. He is the epitome of what Correctional Officers should be and only wish there were many more like him in the Department.


Respectfully,


Joseph Spinney


Correctional Sergeant
California Institution for Men



No comments:

Post a Comment

We are hoping that all of you out there will COMMENT and FOLLOW to show your support for this travesty of INJUSTICE, not only to a Peace Officer, but to innocent people across this nation.

Trying to Screw Me

Trying to Screw Me
Dont LetEm Screw YOU