Sunday, August 15, 2010

Letter from Sgr. J.Powers

California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation


Memorandum

Date: September 23, 2009
Re: CR 07-123 R


To Whom This May Concern,


My name is Joseph Powers. I’ve been an employee of the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, at the California Institution for Men State Prison, for almost 16 years (12 years in uniform). This is a letter of support for Correctional Officer Robert McGowan. I’ve known Officer McGowan most of my career and have had the pleasure of supervising him on several occasions, at various posts, over the past 8 years in my current classification as a Correctional Sergeant.


Officer McGowan has been an asset to the Department, this institution, his supervisors and his peers, day in and day out, over his 13 year career. The first obvious thing you notice when you meet McGowan is that he is a very tall, stocky guy. From the first time I met him and up to now I’ve always called him “Big Mac.” He’s always been a good Officer. Mac has a great command presence. His size has its advantage here, at work, as I’ve witnessed how easily he directs normal operations; he relies on his “gift of gab” and doesn’t need to be physical. On top of that, Mac has always been level headed. Mac knows how to stay calm during emergencies and, in fact, has kept his peers calm, collected and squared away in times of need. Mac is a natural leader. He uses his seniority advantageously. He provides insight, procedural and personal knowledge, and proven techniques to junior Officers and new supervisors to help make everyone’s job a little easier. Mac is of admirable moral character. Mac has strong family values. Mac has always been an enthusiastic Officer. I remember when I was a rookie Officer. Mac asked me what kind of off-duty weapon I carried. I didn’t carry at the time because I thought it was inconvenient. Mac enlightened me, by asking how I expected to be able protect myself, my family and others. He told me that it was better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. He reminded me that I had an obligation, as a Peace Officer, to act, if I were to observe a crime in progress while on or off duty. I’ve been carrying, off duty, ever since.


Officer McGowan has been a positive influence to many over the course of his career. I have to be honest; it’s disheartening to have to write this letter. All Peace Officers are duty bound to uphold federal, state and local laws, policies, procedures, creeds, etc despite whatever external factors that may drag us or attempt to deter us from those responsibilities. Mac is an exemplary illustration of those characteristics. Mac has been suffering the turmoil of these proceedings for the last few years. It’s obviously been a great burden upon him, his wife, his two children and all others around him. And to think his immediate and long term future is hinged upon the insight, prudence and balanced judgment of someone who is so unconnected to his life; is for me unbearable. Yet, Mac has kept his head held high and has continued to work at the same level of excellence and dedication as he did from the first days he donned the uniform. In fact, although currently off work, Officer McGowan recently attended a fallen Officer’s dedication ceremony, well dressed, with his badge appropriately displayed, and respectfully draped. In an era and time of exceptionally low morale amongst all sworn Peace Officers and during extremely trying times for Officer McGowan, he still outwardly projects that his spirits are up and he displays a high regard for his chosen profession.


I request the above, as well as other letters of support, be carefully considered and that a favorable disposition be made on behalf of Officer McGowan. Favorable for me would be any decision that allows him to continue his career, continue to take care and be a role model for his family, and continue to be an upstanding, contributing Peace Officer of the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. Thank you for time and consideration. For any questions or if you need further information, please feel free to contact me at home, (xxx) xxx-xxxx or at work, (xxx) xxx-xxxx.


Sincerely,


Sgt. Joseph Powers

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are hoping that all of you out there will COMMENT and FOLLOW to show your support for this travesty of INJUSTICE, not only to a Peace Officer, but to innocent people across this nation.

Trying to Screw Me

Trying to Screw Me
Dont LetEm Screw YOU