Sunday, August 15, 2010

Letter from S.Barns-family friend

July 25, 2009

Re: Character Reference for Robert McGowan


My name is Scott Barns.  I am employed by Thompson Engineering in Riverside, California as a Sales Engineer.


I have known Robert McGowan for several years. He is my neighbor and good friend. Our children also attend the same school. We were first introduced at an awards assembly at the school where Robert’s son and my son  were both recognized for various achievements including Honor Roll. Robert and his Wife are both very involved in school functions, volunteering for various activities and tasks and never miss an opportunity to participate in their son’s education. Robert is also a valued member of the community, policing the neighborhood teens who have no regard for speed laws on our residential streets and even removing obscenities spray painted on a wall adjacent to the school before the kindergarten through 5th grade students who would follow that path were released that afternoon. Robert is well liked and highly respected by the staff at the school, other Parents and the community at large.


I am aware of the charges Robert is facing as well as the verdict that was reached. I can honestly say that I was completely confounded with the Jury’s verdict. I was not present during the trial, nor was I in the deliberation room as the verdict was reached but I have a difficult time understanding how the jury could have come to this conclusion. I have personally witnessed Robert’s calm emotional reaction to situations that would rightfully evoke an angry and physical response from most people. He has proven to be virtually unflappable when faced with difficult and aggravating situations. I am speaking of two separate occasions and two completely different sets of circumstances.


I have also seen the financial and emotional toll this proceeding is taking on Robert and his family. He has endeavored to provide a secure and stable home taking on the burden of being the sole income earner so that his children can grow up in a home where the warm embrace of their Mother is never too far away. These are the things that matter to Robert, not bravado or revenge for a fellow officer. It’s an almost indescribably helpless feeling watching a man who has proven to be an honest and loyal friend, Father and Husband become a victim of the legal system that he took an oath to uphold. I can count on one hand the number of people I have met in my life who I hold in such high regard. I would trust Robert with everything that matters most in my life, including the care of my children or the safety of my family.


I appreciate this opportunity to share my thoughts with you about Robert. He is above all a man of integrity and has earned my respect. I honestly aspire to be more like the person that he is today and I believe others should as well. We need more people like him in our community. In spite of this devastating proceeding he continues to enrich the lives of those he encounters.


Thank you for your consideration.


Respectfully,


Scott Barns


Sales Engineer
THOMPSON ENGINEERING

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are hoping that all of you out there will COMMENT and FOLLOW to show your support for this travesty of INJUSTICE, not only to a Peace Officer, but to innocent people across this nation.

Trying to Screw Me

Trying to Screw Me
Dont LetEm Screw YOU