Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The McGowan’s Matter

Jun 28th, 2010 By pacovilla I had the honor of speaking with Mrs. Lorraine ‘Raine’ McGowan last week–She is an upbeat, energetic wife and mom whose determination to save her husband and family bled through the phone line. I like this woman.



Raine and her family agree with the Ridership: We must FORCE the public to take notice of Mac’s plight. The parallels between this case and that of the 2 Border Patrol Agents whose unjust sentences were commuted by former President Bush are undeniable. The ambitions of many attorneys within the US DOJ are well served when a law enforcement officer is convicted and imprisoned. AND, Paco says that is just fine when the circumstances warrant it. However, even if Rob McGowan actually perpetrated the misconduct for which he was convicted, surely probation is appropriate for a first offense. But, as with the BP agents, sending a CO to federal prison looks great on the resume’ of opportunistic prosecutors who don’t mind crushing a few lives in the pursuit of an appointment.


In the short-term, we must all pony up and send what we can to the McGowan family. If you already have a PayPal account, you can send cash directly to Raine’s account using the email address: mcgowanposse@hotmail.com. Select the “Send Money” tab and then be certain to select the “Personal” tab on that page–Doing so prevents PayPal from charging the 3% fee. I suggest you check “Other” or “Living expense” just in case selecting “gift” or “cash advance” could have tax implications for the family. If you do not have a PayPal account, PLEASE take a few minutes to sign up. It is free and secure.


Meanwhile, subject only to any restrictions requested by Mac and the family, PacoVilla.com will maintain focus on the McGowan’s until Mac is free. Hopefully, it will be a short run–Yet I know I speak for all Riders in saying we are in for the long haul if need be. In the weeks to come, Paco will roll out a new page dedicated to the McGowan’s. There, Riders will be able to read updates and, hopefully, posts from Mac himself (The BOP permits inmate email). Permanent donation links will be posted there, and prominently throughout the site.


In closing, I’d like to tell you why the McGowan’s matter to me and why they should matter to ALL law enforcement families. Numerous times in my less-than-stellar career I used force on inmates in restraints. In each case, the offender was combative despite being cuffed. So, rather than taking a head-butt or a kick, I would “place” the detainee on the floor or against a wall. One case that comes to mind was that of an inmate at CIW. One evening in ’85 I was an S & E responding to an alarm at “Wilson A” where the Unit Officers had discovered a large cache of tar heroin as the unit was locking in for the night. Upon arrival, the unit was in a turmoil as inmates scattered with their dope. I assisted an officer in restraining one of the suspects and detained her directly outside the Program Office as officers rounded up others and secured the building for count. Unbeknown to me, the inmate I was detaining was holding several bindles of tar heroin and was not inclined to have her pockets searched. As I began the pat down, she forced herself back into me, butted my shoulder with the back of her head and grabbed at my crotch with her cuffed mitts, catching only the fabric of my trousers. Well, I instinctively pushed her back and into the red brick wall, leaving a substantial abrasion on the side of her face. Suffice it to say, using any force on a restrained female is bound to result in an investigation. Fortunately, she admitted to the assault, claiming she reared back in response to “inappropriate touching” incident to the pat-down. Of course, I was exonerated and she picked up a new case for the heroin–She was not charged with the assault. The point is, had this happened 20 years later, who’s to say I wouldn’t have found myself in Robert McGowan’s shoes?


Today, it’s Robert McGowan. Tomorrow, it could be you. The McGowan’s matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are hoping that all of you out there will COMMENT and FOLLOW to show your support for this travesty of INJUSTICE, not only to a Peace Officer, but to innocent people across this nation.

Trying to Screw Me

Trying to Screw Me
Dont LetEm Screw YOU